A prayerful and spiritual beginning of the Jubilee year of Mercy brings the Church and humanity into a new realm of grace and life. It is noteworthy that this Jubilee year was inaugurated on the feast of Immaculate Conception of Mother Mary, Mother of Mercy. As a part of the celebration of this jubilee year, it might be enriching to keep the prayer of Pope Francis in mind in one’s daily prayer. The jubilee year of Mercy is an extra ordinary one in many ways.
- The Jubilee year is celebrated once every 25 years, which allows each generation to access the pardon from God. The last jubilee year was in 2000 and the next in 2025. . Generally during the Jubilee year, the Holy Door/Jubilee Door of the four major Basilicas of Rome, are opened to receive indulgence.
- This year, for the first time in history, the Holy Door of all the diocesans and shrines all around the world will be opened, along with the Holy Doors of Rome. Pilgrims all around the world can receive His special grace of forgiveness of sins.
- The opening of Holy Door was graced by the presence of emeritus Pope Benedict XVI.
- The opening day of the Jubilee Year falls on the fiftieth anniversary of the closing of the historical second Vatican Council.
- The mercy and forgiveness of the Father is highlighted. Therefore, a special facility has been given to all the priests to absolve the sins of women, which occurred due to abortions. Prisoners can obtain indulgences in their prison chapels.
Today, each one of us has been fortunate to be a part of this historical moment and witness it. The Church asks us to focus our life on forgiveness, compassion and mercy, just like our forgiving Father, compassionate Mother, and merciful Son.